Singapore-Hong Kong air travel bubble postponed by two weeks due to spike in Hong Kong’s COVID-19 cases
Hong Kong reported 43 new COVID-19 cases on Saturday.
The air travel bubble between Singapore and Hong Kong was postponed for two weeks after a spike in COVID-19 cases in Hong Kong, said Singapore’s Transport Minister Ong Ye Kung on Nov 21 (Saturday).
It was supposed to start on Nov 22, with one flight a day for 200 travellers into Hong Kong and Singapore.
Mr Ong said in a Facebook post that the decision was made in conjunction with Hong Kong’s Secretary for Commerce and Economic Development Edward Yau, given the evolving situation in Hong Kong.
Mr Ong added that an update as to when flights will restart would be provided in two weeks’ time.
On Saturday, Hong Kong reported 43 new COVID-19 cases, of which 36 were local transmissions.
Prior to the announcement, the Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore said that the air travel bubble will go ahead as scheduled. Arriving passengers were however, subject to a COVID-19 test as a precautionary measure.
Previously, it was announced that the bubble would be suspended for two weeks should the average number of daily unlinked cases over a seven-day period rise above five in either country.
“I can fully understand the disappointment and frustration of travellers who have planned their trips. But we think it is better to defer from a public health standpoint. The airlines will be contacting the travellers individually,” Mr Ong said.
“This is a sober reminder that the COVID-19 virus is still with us, and even as we fight to regain our normal lives, the journey will be full of ups and downs. But we will press on and look forward to when we can safely launch the ATB.”
Unlike reciprocal green lanes, travellers under the air travel bubble will have no restrictions on their travel purpose and will be exempt from quarantine or stay-home notice requirements.