Case 42 migrant worker out of ICU, applause for Singapore frontliners
The latest development is very much welcomed, amidst the recent surge in COVID-19 cases among migrant workers.
The 39-year-old migrant worker who had been in intensive care since Feb 7 has transferred out to the general ward after more than two months.
In a Facebook post on Thursday (Apr 16), the Migrant Worker’s Centre (MWC) said the worker, widely known as case 42, was “taken off the ventilator and is no longer sedated”.
“He is able to breathe on his own and will require speech therapy moving forward as part of his recovery process. As of this evening, case 42 has been transferred out of ICU and into the general ward to continue his recuperation and recovery,” the MWC added.
The worker was among the first five Bangladeshi workers infected with the virus in Singapore. He had been in the ICU since Feb 7.
His wife gave birth in late March, MWC said in a previous Facebook post. It added that the worker had been cleared of the COVID-19 virus, but due to the complications brought on by the virus, he was kept under close medical attention and his condition remained critical.
The latest development is a much welcomed news amidst the recent surge in cases among migrant workers.
Shortly after the worker’s wife gave birth, she expressed her thanks and gratitude, through MWC, to everyone in Singapore who has shown concern and support for her husband and their family. She also singled out the group of medical professionals who continue to give their best to treat her husband despite this stressful period.
MWC added in its latest post: “We have spoken with the family and the employer regarding this very encouraging and happy development and can report that all concerned are overjoyed. On behalf of the family and the employer the MWC would like to thank all well-wishers and benefactors for their prayers and contributions during the worker’s time in hospital.”